DataMinds Be unites the SQL Server professionals in Belgium. Lots of internationally reknowned speakers are welcomed at meetings. Here's what Joey D'Antoni taught us on 2017-04-10:
What not to do when protecting your data
- Always test your backups.
- Disaster Recovery is not just technology, it's policies and procedures (and people).
- Your DR choices should be driven by the RTO and RPO the business requires.
- Always test your backups, and use
DBCC CHECKDBregularly (maybe
- The cloud is not magical: it has additioinal features to deliver DR, but you have to design and plan the desired solution. Consider geographical spreading, and even multiple cloud providers ( although that is a technical challenge ), if your data is very important.
- Create all thinkable disaster scenarios and test your DR procedures.
- Always test your backups: your job is not to make backups, but to restore them.
Oh yeah, final advice: don't hit the EPO button unnecessary.